- In 1991, we announced our new policy ECO YHES and became the first corporation in Korea to implement a policy on comprehensive safety, health and the environment. And to fulfill our social responsibilities and at the same time, achieve sustainability, Hanwha Chemical has adopted a management practice that protects the environment and human health.
- ECO YHES
Yes! Health, Environment & Safety. The letters are set against the backdrop of a green forest symbolizing sustainability & social responsibility.
- Because of our belief in safety, protecting health and the environment we call our approach the SHE management system. This system reflects the core values of our management whose goal is to achieve sustainability while being socially responsible. Our efforts to achieve our goal include the following.
- 01 Making the implementation of an advanced SHE management system and the promotion of continuous improvements, our top priorities.
- 02 Driving enterprise-wide efforts to use energy and resources more efficiently while reducing environmental pollutants through energy control and better resource management.
- 03 Protecting employee health, minimizing risk of injury, reducing accidents and property loss by continuously improving to create a safer working environment.
- 04 Creating a culture shaped by our core values where the levels and regulations met for safety, health, and the environment meet or exceed the expectations of all stakeholders including employees, local communities, customers and the government.
SHE Management Practices
Achieving sustainable growth and adhering to compliance, requires measures that are common across safety, health, and the environment:
- Integrating SHE into our core values
- Improving the SHE system and regulations
- Operating proactively to SHE management
- Improve emergency response during product transportation
- 01. Safety
- Improve workers’ safety awareness
- Improve safety management
standards of business partners
- Strengthen process safety
- 02. Health
- Promote employee health
- Systemize health risk assessment
- 03. Environment
- Systematically manage chemical materials and drive product safety
- Better respond to climate change
- Actively fulfill global
Safety and Health Management System
Hanwha Chemical obtained the (OHSAS 18001) certificate in health and safety management. The certificate was in recognition of our preventive measures including our efforts to organize subcommittees for each of our business areas and for our work to implement an effective system to create and maintain a safe and pleasant work environment. We are focused on spreading our health and safety management system and culture across the entire organization. We have also implemented the “Ten Golden Safety Rules” and a “three-strikes” system for employees or business partners to provide guidance and to ensure compliance with the rules and regulations.
- 2016 Gas Safety Award from Ministry of Trade, Industry, and Energy
- 2015 Lab Safety Day’s Best Lab Award from the Ministry of Science, ICT and Future Planning
- 2013 Safety Culture Award from the Ministry of Security and Public Administration
- 2013 Ministry of Employment and Labor Commendation for Safety & Health
- 2012 Prime Minister’s Commendation - Korea Safety Award
Environmental Management System
In 1995, Hanwha Chemical obtained environmental management system (ISO-14001) certification by initiating an international environmental management pilot – a first for the nation of South Korea. And through continuous environmental improvement projects and eco-friendly management using a PDCA (Plan-Do-Check-Action) approach, Hanwha Chemical has maintained its status and recognition as a green company by the Korean Ministry of Environment.
- 2015 Best Green Climate Award from International Climate Change Forum
- 2014 CDP Korea Climate Change Carbon Management Special Award
- 2013 Sustainable Management Award (Environment category) from Korea Environmental Sustainability Commitee
- 2013 Best Pilot Emission Trading Project (Industry Development category) from Korea Energy Agency
- 2012 New & Renewable Energy Award (Ministry of Knowledge Economy)
Responding to Climate Change
Our response to climate change and energy-saving activities
We recognize climate change as an opportunity for growth rather than seeing it as a crisis. We engage in activities to reduce greenhouse gas and energy wastes in a sustainable manner. With the enforcement of emissions trading system, we calculate and disclose our emissions and energy use in adherence to government standards.
Hanwha Chemical has been carrying out 190 energy-saving activities since 2013 as part of its participation in greenhouse gas reduction programs. And since 2009, it has been a member of the CDP selected as the exemplary company in Carbon Management in 2011 and 2014.
Carbon Disclosure Project (CDP)
A global system that enables companies listed on the Korea Composite Stock Price Index (KOSPI) to measure and disclose their environmental impacts for international financial institutes and the outside world in an aim to improve their carbon management performance.